Monday 9 January 2012

Unruly Clematis...?

I have four clematis vines growing on a trellis and tree in my back yard. I am in Zone 4. They are doing much better than I expected, and have outgrown the trellis and become terribly tangled. What can I do to thin these out a bit? Where can I cut them and when? They are three years old. Any advice would be helpful!



Thanks!

Unruly Clematis...?
It is hard to kill them unless you use a weedkiller..so don't worry about trimming them back....cut them at the new growth just at the vining runners...It is ok if you cut some buds.They are a semi hardy palnt and will grow back fairly quickly.So keep them trimmed as much as possible but not too much near the plant itself

here is a picture i drew for you.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/l...

hope this helps.
Reply:i love these plants im in zone 4/ 5



instead of cutting the plants....next season try extending the height of the trellis

some of these plants grow over 20 feet tall



this website rocks


No comments:

Post a Comment