Thursday 12 January 2012

Clematis plants growing where not planted!?

I love clematis and found this past year that I have wild clematis (the small white flowering ones) popping up all over my yard! I'm thrilled as the bulbs to these are expensive, but have any of you heard of this? I have one small white clematis growing (not near where the new ones are popping up), and one large purple one that's been there for years.

Clematis plants growing where not planted!?
By small white clematis, are you referring to the autumn flowering variety that smells so good and blooms in August? Clematis paniculata? If you are, this variety reseeds it self so prolifically that it can be come a nuisance if its fluffy seedheads are not pruned off before they ripen. It will come up all over your yard and is hard to dig out once it becomes established. I know it is tempting to leave it, but believe me, from the voice of experience (I didn't even plant it, it came with the house) if you allow it to seed, you will come to regret it immensely. My flower beds are full of it and I am constantly digging it out as it will smother everything if given a chance. It is a plant that is bent on world domination. The large-flowered purple and other varieties are not a problem tho the species small-flowering clematis Montana can also become a reseeding nuisance.
Reply:No, I have not had this experience.

What clematis did you plant? I would love to have clematis reseeeding iteself in my yard. I love clematis.

Dance Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment