Monday 9 January 2012

Clematis problems.....?

Every year I get vigorious spring growth on my Clematis. It is packed with buds and very healthy looking. Then right before it blooms....most of it dies(wilts, then turns brown and dry) It was planted 5 years ago and does this every year. I only get a few blooms and that is it. It has never dried out and I don't over fertilize. Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Clematis problems.....?
You might be giving it too much water or the soil is slow to drain. Clematis likes to have cool feet. The roots need shaded so the ground/ dirt does not get too hot. I suggest planting a low growing plant in front of it to keep the earth cool. I would suggest a heavy layer of mulch, but if it is too wet now that will only hold in more moisture. I have a low ( 2 inch height) sedum ground cover planted under my Clematis. Lily of the Valley is good if it is in a slightly shaded spot. Really any plant that will be no more than a foot tall to shade the roots will work. Another thought....Have you inspected the leaves and plant for any bugs or disease or fungus? Another possibility is too much or too strong fertilizer. You could be burning the plant. I have never fertilized mine and it is healthy and does quite well. Be sure to trim off the dead stems now.
Reply:You may also want to give it a shot of Miracid. Clematis is an acid loving plant and will thrive w/this Scott's product.


No comments:

Post a Comment